Re: 2.6.30-5~bpo50+1 and missing firmware

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 22:16 +0200, Szabolcs Tóth wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I tried to install 2.6.30-bpo but the update-initramfs script send me
> the following error msg. I tried to find this bin on the net but
> nothing.
> Is this a debian kernel bug or any body have this firmware file ? I
> would need them beacuse the I use this devices in the server.
>

> Running depmod.
> Running update-initramfs.
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-bpo.1-amd64
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/tigon/tg3_tso5.bin for module tg3
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/tigon/tg3_tso.bin for module tg3
> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/tigon/tg3.bin for module tg3

The above are used only with older Tigon3 cards and even then most can
be used without them (only losing support for TSO).

However, they should be included in the firmware-linux-nonfree package,
and will be in future.

> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/ql8100_fw.bin for module qla2xxx

According to the change that added the reference to that file:

   "Moving forward, all ISP81XX parts will
    ship with a suggested-to-be-used firmware image within flash
    which all driver should first attempt to load.  If the flash
    firmware load fails, the driver will then fallback to loading
    firmware via the request-firmware interface (ql8100_fw.bin)."

So it appears that you will normally not need this file.

Unix is many things to many people,
but it's never been everything to anybody.