Re: ITP: RT kernel patch

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 04:31:05PM -0700, Pedro R wrote:

> Hi, sorry for the late reply.
>
> What do you mean by maintaining it? I intend to maintain it myself
> for a long time. To be honest, I don't have a good understanding of the
> rt code but the people on the linux-rt mailing list are very helpful, so
> all bugs will be solved there.

If you want this to end up in a stable release, then it will need
ongoing security support. Heavyweight patches typically have
difficulty continuing to apply on top of security changes and, as the
upstream patch maintainers migrate to newer kernels, it may become
difficult to obtain assistance resolving conflicts. For instance, we
used to have to update the openvz patch package with nearly every
security update. It is also much easier for us to update the patch if
it is part of the linux-2.6 package.

Though, if you don't mind this package living in unstable-only, a
non-security-supported kernel-patch (with a permanent RC bug to
prevent migration) maybe a reasonable approach.

--
dann frazier