Re: [stable] Adding bnx2x driver in 5.0.3

Hello dann,

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 4:04 PM, dann frazier<dannf@debian.org> wrote:
> The bnx2x driver was disabled in lenny due to its use of non-free
> firmware. I have put together a patch that would reenable this driver
> in lenny's 2.6.26 kernel, making use of the firmware split-out patch
> that has gone upstream in Linux 2.6.31-rc releases (and is currently
> in use in the linux-2.6 2.6.30 packages in sid).

Really good news :-)

> I'd like to see if we can enable the use of this driver in 5.0.3.
> As far as I can tell, the necessary steps would be:
>
>  - Update the kernel (obviously) - planned for a p-u upload this week
>  - Backport the necessary changes for firmware-nonfree from sid to add
>   the firmware-bnx2x package
>  - Update kernel-wedge/stable to include bnx2x if available (are there
>   space issues here?)

The space usage is neglitable and I think it can be done with a very
small risk of regressions.

Be sure to use the kernel-wedge of lenny for building it since we've
changed kernel-wedge a lot during the 2.6.30 migration and it is not
suitable for the lenny usage.

>  - Update d-i in 5.0.3 to incorporate this driver

Yes, you got the picture right.

I offer help if required.

Cheers,

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br