Question about custom kernels and linux-libc-dev

Hi,

Can some kind member of the Debian Kernel Team direct me to some documentation about how the package 'linux-libc-dev' fits into the picture. I am learning about the standard toolchain, and just noticed that installing 'gcc' brings in a dependency on 'libc6-dev'. (That makes sense to me.) But 'libc6-dev' depends on something called 'linux-libc6-dev', which seems to imply that compiling a program (with 'gcc') depends on the kernel headers.

I'm baffled, and I want to read about this so that I understand what is going on.

My primary concern is that I learned to compile my own kernels about 2 years ago -- and have been doing so regularly since then. When I build my own kernel I have not been producing a 'linux-libc-dev' package myself, and instead have been using whatever version is available in the Sid repositories.
  But, just now, I was perusing the packages in

http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/

and noticed that the latest 2.6.30-4 snapshot also has a corresponding 'linux-libc-dev' package! (linux-libc-dev_2.6.30-4~snapshot.14002_
amd64.deb)

Where can I read about the difference between 'linux-headers-*' and 'linux-libc-dev'. I seem to recall reading about a "kernel-headers" package, which doesn't seem to exist for Debian, so I would like to find about about that as well. How badly have I been messing up my system by having 'linux-libc-dev' out of sync with my kernels? (These don't seem to be versioned dependencies, so hopefully everything has been OK all along?)

Sincere thanks,
Dave W.