(Not so) surprising loss of e100 module.

I'm wondering whether there's a bug I can file to make it easier for users of kernel 2.6.29 and later to know they might want firmware-linux installed also.

I just upgraded from 2.6.26 to 2.6.30 and update-initramfs complained that it couldn't find the e100 firmware. I didn't have it so naturally the new kernel couldn't use the e100 driver. Not too surprising, there has to be some reason to call it "unstable". ;-)

At first glance I didn't find firmware-linux since it doesn't say e100 in the description (the firmware name is in there though so I'd have found it by looking harder).

So I wonder, by the time 2.6.30+ goes to stable, how will a non-technical user know they want firmware-linux? Should the linux-image packages recommend it (they can't depend on non-free, right)?

Is this something that's already solved? Is it something that needs to be solved?

Thanks!
Dave