RE: fragmentation of a datagram

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 20:13 -0700, Peter Crawford wrote:
> From: ben@decadent.org.uk
> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:21:02 +0100
> > ... probably a firewall misconfiguration. Make sure you're
> > allowing ICMP messages out to the client so that PMTU discovery can
> > work.
>
> Well the non-Linux client is incapable of PMTUD.

Then you'll need to configure the local link with an MTU of 576.

> Can the Linux router operate so that it simply sends
> datagrams to the client without involvement of PMTUD?

I don't understand.  I thought the problem was that some of the client's
*outgoing* packets were being dropped due to exceeding the MTU on the
WAN link and being non-fragmentable.  You can fix that by lowering the
MTU between client and remote systems; either by PMTUD or by changing it
on the local link.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare ...