Re: Serious SCSI problem on Lenny networkinstall image

"letstry@home.nl" <letstry@home.nl> writes:

[...]

> I consider it Debian's problem, and I am willing to invest some time
> to help, if needed.

That is great and it is very welcome.

> I think I have given enough info via mail until now:
> 03/08 - a link to debian user forums with a thread I started there about this issue
> 03/09 - with 2 x syslog of Debian 5 boot on two different machines (2 different SCSI controllers)
> 03/11 - the mail you react to (I guess you missed the one from 03/09 ?)
> 03/12 - a reaction for Otario Salvador with dmesg output and some configuration
                         ^ Otavio, plz ;-)
> today - after investigating some more, my conclusion that the 486 kernel has a SCSI problem for Qlogic and Adaptec
> today - more investigation (kernel sources this time) with some possibilities

As we already concluded on the other thread this is a kernel issue and
needs to be dealt by the kernel team.

> I'm willing to include all my mails (and the reactions) in my posts,
> but that would be a bit too much, wouldn't it?

It is not required and you already provided that information on the bug
report you did at #519815. This is right place to provide more
information.

> Also I was hoping that SCSI problems on 2 different well known SCSI
> controllers would trigger something, but obviously that is not the
> case.
>
> Or am I not in the right place for this?
>
> I personally think there's a serious error in the i386 network install image (being kernel-486 based).
> If so, I consider that bad for Debian's reputation, and that would be
> bad for the reputation of open source software, which is not what we
> want.

Sorry but you're wrong about kernel being 486 based be a mistake. This
allow Debian to be installer in more machines and this is exactly what
we intend.

Yes, we have a bug on 486 flavor and this needs to be solved but making
Debian non-installable in older machines is not the way to do that.

I've added kernel team mailing list and I hope they can take a look
and provide more information on the bug.

Kernel team, please, take a look at #519815. This is a serious bug
and would be nice to have it fixed for 5.0.1 if possible.

Kind regards,

- --
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855
 you the whole house."