had to add irqpoll for Lenny kernel; irqpoll breaks Lenny kernel

[Originally posted to debian-user where there weren't any replies.  More
details of hardware etc can be supplied if requested.  Please Cc replies to
me.]

I have a machine that was running Etch (and using the 2.6.18-k7 kernel) for
the entire release.  It had uptimes over 100 days a few times during that
period.

I recently updated it to Lenny and not too long after rebooting it I saw
kernel messages talking about how noone cared about IRQ 21 interrupts and
to turn on irqpoll.  (IRQ 21 was attached to my USB devices and they
weren't working so I had to reboot at this stage.)

When I boot with irqpoll, the machine crashes after some time.  Basically
it becomes fully unresponsive - not driving video, the numlock key doesn't
work on the keyboard any more, etc.

I booted it back into Etch's 2.6.18 (accidently with irqpoll) and it died
this horrible death again.  I took irqpoll off the kernel arguments and now
the machine has been up and stable for several days.

Any thoughts about this?  Is the new need for irqpoll a kernel bug or is it
exposing an underlying hardware problem?  If it's the latter why is this
hardware so stable running 2.6.18?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
  Dale