Kernel panic using package firmware-bnx2

Hi!

I am not sure if it's a bug or if I have just missed an information
regarding the update process.

A few months ago, I installed Etch on some of our Intel Blades (amd64
port); the machines worked normally. After updating (also installing some
blades from scratch) to 2.6.24-etchnhalf, the onboard network devices did
not function, but I discovered soon that (binary) firmware from the kernel
sources has been put out into own packages.
After installing package firmware-bnx2, the devices are working again.
But: Having some network load on these devices, the kernel panics.
NFS-mounts or a connection using SSH work at first, but waiting a while
(random length), the machine crashes. This can be forced by initiating a
data transfer over NFS => kernel panic after a few seconds.

I tried kernel 2.6.26 and firmware-bnx2 from the backports, also, to no
better result.

Last week, I built kernel 2.6.24 myself from the sources of kernel.org,
using the config of 2.6.24-etchnhalf (giving default answers to a few
additional questions); with this the tests look good, no kernel panic so
far.

Well - do you have any hint for me, what I could have missed when
installing the firmware-bnx2 package(s)?

With kind regards,
Wolfgang Braun