Re: suggested initramfs-tools patches

Thanks for your feedback. Some followup:

on 17/02/09 02:48 maximilian attems wrote :
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:45:30PM +0000, Struan Bartlett wrote:

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to write to. I've made a
few patches to this package that my company is using in production, and
I would like to contribute them back to the Debian community. The
patches are:

yes it is, go for it.

1. allowing an LVM root device to be specified as /dev/VG/LV instead of
/dev/mapper/VG-LV

there is an open bug #378332
beware the critics of that patch and that /dev/VG/LV is *just* a
symlink. please post your patch as followup there.

Ok will try that.

2. incorporating lvm, and the standard ext3 tools resize2fs and
mkfs.ext3 in the ramdisk, which provides users with the basic tools to
resize, rename, their filesystems and logical volumes (particularly
their root filesystems) without needing an alternative system on the
hard disk to boot off.

no.
that is a special case that is not worth to ship any initramfs with.
initramfs-tools is explicitly made hookable to allow such inhouse
"abuse".

I understand, that makes sense. Is there scope maybe then for a separate package (e.g. called initramfs-tools-ext3utils) which contains and adds in the appropriate hooks?

Struan