Re: Question on driver availability / backports

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 13:39 +0100, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> quick introduction of myself: The guy that is repsonsible to bring Linux
> on the desktop PCs at Fujitsu Siemens Computers.
>
> Now my question: I tried to install the latest Lenny netinstall snapshot
> on our current destkop models today, but unfortunately this snapshot is
> missing the support for the Intel Boazman LAN in e1000e. Boazman is
> device ID 8086:10df.
>
> Yes, I understand the issues of freezes and that Lenny will come with a
> 2.6.26 kernel that doesn't support this device. So my concern is about
> how I can support our customers that still want to use Debian on actual
> PC hardware.

Does this device require new code in the driver, or is it sufficient to
add the new id to its device id table?  In the latter case I expect that
it could be added in a stable update.

> So a few questions, I hope that this mailing list is the correct one to
> ask this:
>
> 1. Is there a sort of "driver backport" group that takes care of such
> issues? Or is the concept behind debian to move forward to newer kernels
> to obtain hardware support?

We don't backport drivers into the linux-2.6 package.  Newer kernel
versions are likely to be made available in the lenny-backports suite of
www.backports.org, though this is not yet an official service.

> 2. Is there a mechanism to replace drivers during installation.
> Imagining I would get a working e1000e module somehow I still would need
> to make it usable on the installation process, at the moment all I can
> think of is adding it by hand to the proper modules/../updates directory
> and inserting it by hand. Looks not like an easy to use setup. :-)
> Ok, maybe this is more for the debian-boot mailing list, is it?
[...]

Yes, this is for debian-boot.