Re: packaging e1000e from intel

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 12:36 +1100, Jayen Ashar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've found that the e1000e driver isn't up-to-date for some new hardware
> our school has received.  I'm trying to package it [properly], but I'm
> having trouble finding instructions on packaging a kernel module.

You should build the package in two stages.  In the first stage you
build a "binary" package containing the source tarball, plus information
for module-assistant.  In the second stage you use module-assistant to
build for a specific kernel version.  Read the documentation for
module-assistant.

> If someone could look at what I tried (below) and tell me what I'm doing
> wrong, that would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> * lspci to find hardware id (0x10de)
> * google search to find hardware name (intel 82567LM-3)
> * intel download search to find driver
> *
> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15817/eng/e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz&agr=&ProductID=3003&DwnldId=15817&strOSs=&OSFullName=〈=eng
>   tar -zxvf e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz
>   cd e1000e-0.5.8.2/
>   cat > Makefile << end
>   default:
>   	$(MAKE) -C src default
>   install:
>   	$(MAKE) -C src install
>   end
>   dh_make -e jayen@science.unsw.edu.au -f ../e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz -s -p
> e1000e
>   sed -i s/INSTALL_MOD_PATH/DESTDIR/ src/Makefile
>   fakeroot debian/rules binary
>
>   sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i e1000e_0.5.8.2-1_i386.deb
>
> The main thing I'm uncomfortable with is the --force-overwrite, but I'm
> also worried I'm using -s (single binary) instead of -k (kernel module)
> with dh_make.  What can I do to not make it so hacky?

Instead of overwriting the module that comes with the kernel, you should
install the replacement in /lib/modules/$(KVER)/updates (depmod
automatically gives this directory higher priority).  You will probably
need to patch the makefile to do this.

If God had intended Man to program,
we'd have been born with serial I/O ports.