packaging e1000e from intel

Hi,

I've found that the e1000e driver isn't up-to-date for some new hardware our school has received. I'm trying to package it [properly], but I'm having trouble finding instructions on packaging a kernel module. If someone could look at what I tried (below) and tell me what I'm doing wrong, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

* lspci to find hardware id (0x10de)
* google search to find hardware name (intel 82567LM-3)
* intel download search to find driver
* http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15817/eng/e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz&agr=&ProductID=3003&DwnldId=15817&strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng
 tar -zxvf e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz
 cd e1000e-0.5.8.2/
 cat > Makefile << end
 default:
 	$(MAKE) -C src default
 install:
 	$(MAKE) -C src install
 end
dh_make -e jayen@science.unsw.edu.au -f ../e1000e-0.5.8.2.tar.gz -s -p e1000e
 sed -i s/INSTALL_MOD_PATH/DESTDIR/ src/Makefile
 fakeroot debian/rules binary

 sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i e1000e_0.5.8.2-1_i386.deb

The main thing I'm uncomfortable with is the --force-overwrite, but I'm also worried I'm using -s (single binary) instead of -k (kernel module) with dh_make. What can I do to not make it so hacky?

--Jayen

--
Jayen Ashar
Technical Officer