Re: Possibility for dependencies against specific kernel modules

Le vendredi 31 octobre 2008 à 12:44 +0100, Bastian Blank a écrit :
> Because of some recent events, I thought about the possibility for
> packages to depend against kernel module packages. As we don't want to
> dictate the usage of Debian provided kernels, we need a last resort
> fallback to the modules source.

I think this is something good to have, but I’m skeptical about the
fallback to the source. It will, in unstable and sometimes in testing or
even stable, to situations where the modules are not available for a
while, and the source will get installed, leaving the system in a broken
state. Unless the source can use DKMS or a similar mechanism to
automatically generate modules, this is not very reliable.

--
 .''`.