Re: Fixes to Etch kernel for use in a Xen domain 0

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 08:32:21PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:22:19AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the problem with Option 4?
> >
> > My two concerns with that are:
> >  * Dropping support for a package in a stable release (which we
> >    currently only do due to unforeseen circumstances) and
> >  * forcing users to upgrade to a new upstream version within a stable
> >    release.
>
> So nothing in addition to my concerns. So we are back at the decision
> between:
> - Full support, which currently noone wants to handle.

One plus for #4 is that it gives us the option of doing #5 later, in
case someone steps forward between now and the end of etch support.

> - Support until we have something new, which breaks with some rules.
> - No support.
>
> I know its not really pretty, but for now its the best we can get IMHO.

If we choose to migrate users within a stable release, we'd need to have
some predetermined overlap between lennynhalf availability and 2.6.18
security support so we can communicate to users that, at some point in
the future, they will be asked to migrate and they'll have n months to
do so.

We would also need a pretty good communication plan, that is ideally
in-band of the normal install/upgrade process. For example:
 1) 5.0r0: NEWS.Debian that warns of the shorter-than-normal security
           support
 2) 5.0+half: NEWS.Debian that gives a N month warning to migrate to
              lennynhalf kernel
 2) 5.0+half+N-months: NEWS.Debian that warns that they are installing
                       an unsupported package

--
dann frazier