Re: binary firmware (Re: Processed: tagging 493925, tagging 494007, tagging 494009, tagging 494010)

Hi,

> Mine is that it should be useful to people fully committed to freedom who
> would rather trash their hardware than run a propietary driver

that might depend on hom much you paid for that hardware, and on whether
you have the choice to not use it, because there might not be anything
comparable not non-free.

> So my conclussion is that untill we can fix the problems, the compromise that
> would fall within the letter and spirit of the SC is to provide two versions
> of the package to our users.  One that is 100% free and one that is, at least,
> legally distributable.

1. We removed all not distributable blobs during the last freeze.
2. The remaining ones are either distributable in main, or in the
   firmware-nonfree package.

If you think one of the remaining firmwares is licensed in a way not
acceptable for main, please send in tested patches against the driver in
linux-2.6 fixing it to request the firmware from userland, and the
needed patch for firmware-nonfree with the corresponding counterpart.

Regards
Frederik Schüler

--
ENOSIG