Re: initramfs-tools: how to to avoid nuking tmpfs?

Hi,

maximilian attems <maks@debian.org> writes:
>> ("rcvd" and "twiglet" are part of normal debian "vtgrab" package.)
>
> never heard of but ok why not..

Next step is to add sshd there so that RCV traffic can be tunneled
securely over it and I can access initramfs shell while the system is
booting (without having to stop that long running fsck...).

>> so that "run-init" is never run and tmpfs is not nuked. Can you think
>> of a cleaner way to have programs started from initramfs persist?
>
> no there shouldn't be. look at udev. it restarts early after.
> as initscript, shouldn't give harm as either the rootmnt works
> and the initramfs console is uninteresting or you are there..

Good point. However, if run-init, /sbin/init, libc, /etc/init.d/rcS,
or /bin/sh on the root filesystem are somehow corrupted I would like
to see the error message remotely. With sshd I could also replace them
with working binaries and reboot the system. Doesn't this sound
useful? ;-)

best regards,
Timo Lindfors