Re: What was the reason for enabling Xen on all i386 kernels?

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:29:52PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I would like to know why it was decided to enable Xen on all i386
> kernels.  The changelog simply states it was done, which isn't exactly
> helpful, other than to show it apparently was on purpose and not an
> accident.

the reason seems quite evident.
to be able to have any debian kernel as xen guest.
it is a frequent feature request we received.

> Meanwhile amd64 kernels don't have it enabled.  Why the difference?

because paravirt upstream support is currently only x86_32
once ported to amd64 it will enabled there too.
but haven't yet landed for 2.6.26, so still..

<snipp long text about random_closed_source module>
please bug your vendor for those.
ati is already mostly supported by the free radeon driver,
use latest of it.
anyway nvidia hasn't released any official driver for 2.6.25 afaik.

best regards

--
maks