Re: Question about "time indices" during boot process with new (>= 2.6.25) kernel images

Fabian Greffrath wrote:
> since I have upgraded my linux-image package to 2.6.25, time indices
> appear in brackets at the beginning of each kernel message line during
> the boot process. I have never encountered these indices with previous
> kernels (< 2.6.25).

this is CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME=y.

> Are these indices displayed intentionally?

i guess this slipped in by accident as it was, up to 2.6.25, only
enabled for snapshots on buildserver.net.

> If yes, what's the advantage of displaying them? I,
> personally, consider them ugly. ;)

read kconfig for CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME. use quiet to avoid them.

> Is this a new upstream feature or is it a Debian-specific change?

upstream, present since ages.