From: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
To: Henning   <Plazmakeks@stonerrock.net>
Subject: Re: problem (bug?) with glibc' exec function
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:18:28 +0200

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:37:36AM -0700, Henning   wrote:
> > plazmakeks@stonerrock.net a écrit :
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > i got the following settings:
> > >
> > > os: Linux blubb 2.6.15-1-686 #2 Mon Mar 6 15:27:08 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/
> > > Linux
> > > g++: gcc version 4.0.4 20060507 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.3-3)
> > > java: java version "1.6.0_05"
> > > Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_05-b13)
> > > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode, sharing)
> > > glibc: 2.7
> > >
> > > i got a java application from which i start os processes using c/c++
> > > via JNI. every 'job' consists of a 'wrap script' and an 'application
> > > script'. my c function forks the current process and replaces the
> > > image
> > > with the execl() function, in which the 'wrap script' is called as a
> > > bash script. the 'wrap script' then calls the 'application script' and
> > > does other stuff.
> > >
> > > i did some masstests the last days. i started about 1000 'jobs' in a
> > > loop.
> > >
> > > execl() definition says, that the function replaces the current
> > > process image with the delivered one. if the function succeeds it
> > > doesnt return, if it fails it will return. however if i start lots of
> > > jobs concurrently there are some 'jobs' which's process image isnt
> > > replaced by the delivered bash script call to execl(), you can see it
> > > by using the 'ps ax' command in the shell which shows several jvm
> > > instances running, related to the number of failed-started 'jobs'. but
> > > if the execl() function fails and the process image isnt replaced, the
> > > execl() function neither returns a value. so i guess there is a bug.
> > > any suggestions?
> >
> > execl is just a wrapper around the execve syscall. This is most likely a
> > problem of resources on your system.
> >
> > Just check errno to see what happens exactly.
> >
> > --
> >   .''`.  Aurelien Jarno	            | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
> >  : :' :  Debian developer           | Electrical Engineer
> >  `. `'   aurel32@debian.org         | aurelien@aurel32.net
> >    `-    people.debian.org/~aurel32 | www.aurel32.net
> >

> > i can't access errno cause execl doesnt return
> >

> Then it is most probably a kernel problem.
>
> --
>   .''`.  Aurelien Jarno	            | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
>  : :' :  Debian developer           | Electrical Engineer
>  `. `'   aurel32@debian.org         | aurelien@aurel32.net
>    `-    people.debian.org/~aurel32 | www.aurel32.net
>

> is it known or even documented? how will u proceed with this bug? id like to be inform if u got new information.

I have no idea if it is a know bug or not. You should contact kernel
people to get more information.

Aurelien

StonerRock.net Free Email is provided by StonerRock.com. Please support StonerRock.com by shopping in our All That's Heavy Online Music Store which features over 2000 Stoner Rock and Doom titles!!! - http://www.stonerrock.com/store - Don't miss our brand new DAILY KILLER DEALS section where you can save mucho bucks - http://www.stonerrock.com/store/sale.asp