Re: enable cs46xx for etchnahalf?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 01:57:24AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 01:04:39PM +0300, Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Wiki page told to post here, though perhaps you follow debian-kernel
> > bugs too. Anyway, added support for newer hardware would be great if
> > previously working drivers would keep working :)
> >
> > What are the odds of applying the firmware separating patch from
> > #464197 and creating a new firmware package? For etchnahalf?
>
> Unfortunately in this case it is simply does not appear legal for
> Debian to redistribute this firmware. I've sent a request to Cirrus
> Logic for a license granting free redistribution. I doubt I'm the
> first, but its worth a try..

Ok. Thanks this and for updating the
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing wiki page on the status :)

> That aside, I wonder if there's any good reasons to not take the split
> out patch, allowing these cards to function if the user chooses to
> manually install this firmware image.

I tested the kernel patch and made an initial attempt at packaging the
firmware blob:

  main contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/non-free/c/cs46xx-firmware/cs46xx-firmware_0.1-1.dsc

The patch and firmware package were tested on my Thinkpad T20 and they
seem to work. The kernel patch should be more verbose when loading the
firmware or when the image is missing, but other than that they seem to
work.

Feel free to sponsor, adopt, hijack, NMU, fix or redo the package, if it helps
getting cs46xx audio driver back.

-Mikko