security patch/vserver conflict

I've a security patch for 2.6.18 that changes code that is also
changed by the  vserver patch. Its pretty clear what both trees should
look like in the end, but I don't know of a way to generate them
cleanly in the build system.

The problem is that, when generating the vserver tree, the build
system first applies all of the generic series files, then it goes
back and applies the -extra files. So when I add a conflicting patch
in 17etch1, the vserver patch in 9-extra fails to apply.

Of course, I could go back and hack the vserver patch, or add a
"fixup" patch into 9-extra that reverts the security fix before it
applies the unmodified vserver patch, then reapply the security fix to
vserver in 17-extra. But, both of these options break the generation
of old vserver source trees. Personally I'm not too bothered by this,
but does anyone have a better suggestion?

--
dann frazier