etch 2.6 kernel and modutils broken symlinks

Hi All

My system is running "etch" with the latest updates and a 2.6 kernel. It
has never installed or run a 2.4 or 2.2 kernel.

I've noticed that my system has some files that belong to the "modutils"
package (which is used with 2.2 and 2.4 kernels), however I don't have
that package installed. The files are "/sbin/ksyms" and
"/bin/kallsyms", both of which are symbolic links to "insmod.modutils"
which by the way doesn't exist.

In addition to those two files there are the following files which are
also symbolic links to the non-existant "insmod.modutils":

 /sbin/modprobe.modutils
 /sbin/lsmod.modutils
 /sbin/rmmod.modutils
 /bin/lsmod.modutils

Assuming that I continue to run 2.6 kernels, will these broken symbolic
links and missing "insmod.modutils" cause problems for my system? If so,
are there any recommended fixes ?

BTW, why are these broken symbolic links present on my system ? Is this
a known issue ?

Thanks,
Declan