Re: Firmwares left

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:08:45 +0200, Frederik Schueler <fs@debian.org> said:
Hello, as far as the GPL and BSD licensed firmwares are concerned, the
licenses of these firmwares are compliant with the DFSG and will not
be castrated from the kernel, see the GR007/2006 discussion.

As for the rest: our priority is free software, who cares about users?

tg3: Drop. The firmware should be pruned and the driver deactivated
until someone shows up with a patch upstream accepts.

        While I am a user of this driver (my laptop came with a broadcom
 gigabit card),  I do appreciate your caring for user freedoms and
 dropping this driver.

        thanks for doing the right thing, even if it means I can't use
lan0.
        manoj

Hello,

From from a user's point of view, as this chip is on quite a number of mobos, some users will suddenly find they loose internet connection after a kernel upgrade. Please consider making an announcement on d-a (and may be d-u) list so that users do know what's happening.