arp problem (Linux/xen not seeing arp requests)

Hello,

I'm running a Xen server that does not see ARP requests. Please see the
attached message for the details (sent to linux-net@vger.kernel.org, but
no replies so far...). I'll recap here:

The problem is that the system does not see any incoming ARP requests on
the physical interface, not when using straight ethernet, not when using
802.1q VLANs. The switch is working OK, plugging another machine in shows
the ARP requests are coming just fine.

Two weeks ago I did a little network reconfiguration, which I thought
caused the problem, but now I've found that it was the kernel upgrade that
caused it (2.6.18-4), since reverting to 2.6.18-3 "resolved" the issue we
had.

Now we have the issue of an exploitable kernel. I must say that I haven't
tried 2.6.18-5 yet, because I want to be at the machine location in case
anything goes wrong. I will do that next week.

I had a quick glance at the changelogs, but couldn't see anything obvious
that changed ARP handling from -3 to -4, is this a known issue that has
already been resolved, or am I the only one seeing this behaviour?

This message is a little short on details, but I don't want to duplicate
it, everything else I deemed important is in the attached message.

Thanks for any comments.

Best regards,
Borut Mrak.

--- Begin Message ---
Some more information on this - the switch is working OK.

I now modified the config to look like this:

eth0 - xenbr0 - domUs
eth1 - vlan100 - xenbrup - domUs
     - vlan200 - xenbrdmz - domUs

eth0 is connected to a port on the switch that is in vlan1 (untagged).
eth1 is connected to another port that carries vlans 100 and 200 (both
tagged).

When i connected my laptop to the switch port that usually hosts server's
eth0, I could see arp requests being sent from other systems.
Disconnecting the laptop and connecting server's eth0 again, no incoming
arp requests.

So it's definitely something going wrong on the server with Linux. I have
never seen such behaviour, usually even if the system doesn't see the
packets (for example beacuse of iptables), tcpdump is still able to see them.

I tried to put eth0 into promiscious mode, but that also made no difference.

Best regards,
Borut Mrak.

-

--- End Message ---