Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] how to support xen in 2.6.23?

Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> 2.6.23 will support xen, but only partially. It lacks support for the
> driver backends and other dom0 things.

Or put simpler: it cannot currently be used for dom0 in general. Maybe
except some special situation where you don't need a backend driver, but
even the XenSource folks just say it doesn't work for dom0.

> We may just built it without xen-linux-system and without
> hypervisor-compatibility settings, which makes update-grub to include it
> with all available hypervisors. Or move the image away from /boot, which
> makes it unusable with pygrub.

You mean unsuable with pygrub in a guest?
Hmm, I would not vote to change it like this.

In general, I would keep everything as it is now, and wait a little bit
before changing anything, as it's hard to see what will happen, and
especially when, in upstream development.

Better think about this if the time of the freeze comes, and still there
is no upstream support for dom0 Kernels coming closer. Then you will
have to think about dropping Xen completely, anyway - because it cannot
be used at all when there's no Kernel - only when people build their own
dom0 Kernel manually.

Henning