Must I use dh_installkpatches for kernel patches?

Hi,

I'm looking at the lustre kernel patches and upstream uses quilt to
apply sets of patch files depending on the kernel version. So far the
lustre debian package uses dh_installkpatches which requires one
single patch file per kernel version.

Generating the patch file for dh_installkpatches is rather akward as
you need the linux-source-x.y.z packages for all supported kernels to
make them.

Is there some policy for kernel patches I should read up on? Must I
use dh_installkpatches for kernel patches? Or can I just write my own
apply/unpatch scripts?

MfG
        Goswin