Re: Debian kernel packaging: changes forthcoming in kernel-package 11.x

On Wed, 02 May 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2007 23:18:28 +0200, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> said:
>
> > heya manoj, you didn't respond on my point putting the scripts under
> > /usr/share/kernel. this is a crucial decision.
>
> > initramfs-tools has both /etc/initramfs-tools/{hooks,scripts} that
> > take precendence over packaging files in
> > /usr/share//initramfs-tools/{hooks,scripts} that allows very handy
> > local configurabilty.
>
>         Where packages put their scripts is up to the  packages;
>  currently the postinst only runs the scripts under /etc/kernel.  Are
>  you suggesting that be changed?

yes.
it should look both in /etc/kernel _and_ /usr/share/kernel

with the script /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs takes precedence over
/usr/share/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs

> > On Wed, 02 May 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>

> > that is pretty clear by the logic of the postinst: initramfs-tools is
> > the default (popcon will tell that too ;) d-i uses it as default too.
> > afaik no other initramfs generator works on all release archs.
>
>         This is just the case now. I have no idea what the situation is
>  going to be in a month. Or a year. Or five years.  I don't think
>  keeping track of the currently popular package is something I want to
>  do.

sure,
i'd like an newcomer to come up with cool solutions.

> >> So, we can use alternatives to have bootloaders and initrd-generators
> >> cooperate; so we don't have to have a over-arching configuration.
>
> > nack alternatives is not a scalable tool.  default unless
> > /etc/kernel/initramfs overrides the default
> > /usr/share/kernel/initramfs
>
>         You mean /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs ?
>
>         Why is alternatives not scalable? At the moment, I see just a
>  couple if initramfs generators,  which seems perfectly fine for
>  alternatives.  Same goes for bootloaders, actually.

alternatives is a debian specific tool, one of those terrific
perl "codage"..
no please come up with a better idea.

--
maks