Re: Debian kernel packaging: changes forthcoming in kernel-package 11.x

Hi,

nice to hear about new ideas and fresh developement now that etch is
out of the way.

>         Third, I want to do away with the postinst deciding which initrd
>  generator to run. The current initramfs packages already have commands
>  to create the initrd; and these packages can again dump in scripts to
>  run the initrd generator in /etc/kernel/*.d.  This is the chance that
>  initrd generator people have to fix the interface that they have been
>  complaining about.

At work we have many systems with a custom kernel that has all boot
hardware support build in (no need for initrd) but they have / on lvm
(needs initrd). So what I would like would be to have one initrd for
all kernels but still have it update if lvm or mdadm requires a
change.

If anyone is writing a /etc/kernel/*.d script for initrd please try to
implement this feature.

>         Finally, I want to have kernel-package come closer to the
>  version numbering scheme that the official kernel images have been
>  using, complete with native flavour support, but this can be dealt with
>  in a separate thread.
>
>         The critical issues are:
>  a) How to configure which one of competing boot-loader scripts get run,
>     if more than one boot loaders are installed
>  b) Which initramfs generator gets run, if we have more than one
>     installed.
>  c) What information would the scripts need, apart from kernel version,
>     and the location of the image?
>  d) How do we transition the changes -- wait for all involved packages
>     to create a changed version, and upload all packages at once in a
>     staged fashion, or just stagger it into Sid?

Experimental?

>         The first two issues are specific instances of the general
>  problem of how to configure any set of cooperating scripts; and a
>  solution similar to those used for init scripts can be adopted
>  (/etc/default/script-or-package-name)
>
>         So, the next step should be to create example symlink,
>  boot-loader invocation, and initrd invocation scripts for people to dump
>  into /etc/kernel.  I was thinking of also including these examples into
>  the kernel image  packages, even if there is some duplication on disk
>  of these small examples, at least while the transition is still going
>  on.

It might be a good idea to have a debconf frontend to chose scriplets
and then install them with ucf.

MfG
        Goswin