status of the kernel wrt etch

Dear kernel team,

not only because of an upcoming talk on the status of etch, but also
out of genuine interest and the desire to improve things, I am
rather interested in what's blocking etch right now. From what I've
heard, the major showstopper seems to be that we currently don't
have a releaseable kernel, and that there are some stones in the
way of releasing one.

I have set reply-to in the hope not to start a potential flame war,
and I would appreciate if each of you took a minute of your time and
just shared his/her thoughts. No need to write sentences, keywords
that I can research will do.

I will post a summary in the context of an assessment of our release
status at a later point.

Thanks for your time,

"next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the
 nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those
 conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and
 refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by
 convince himself that the war is just, and will thank god for the
 better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque
 self-deception."
                                                         -- mark twain