ti_usb's firmware (Re: Solving the linux-2.6 firmware issue)

Hallo.

On 2007-01-06, Frederik Schueler <fs@debian.org> wrote:
[]

> Now, removing all these drivers is a workaround so we can release ASAP.
>
> The real solution needs to be addressed after the release, as was
> already stated in the discussion prior to the GR:
>
> - have vendors re-release the drivers including the complete source of=20
>   the firmwares under a DFSG compatible license or
>
> - patch the drivers to use request_firmware(), and have vendors relicense
>   the firmwares so we can at least ship the drivers in the modules-nonfree=
>=20
>   package

ASAP is ASAP.

Is it possible to have ti_usb serial driver patched with adoption of
request_firmware()? I've posted rfc patch month+ ago. Even shown up
author of the driver requested just to split emacs' visiting and the
rest. One useful thing may be to have a file in doc/ expaining how to
have this driver working. Smart upstream guys implemented function, that
helps to get rid of udev on installatin of the driver is in 2.6.19.
A set of devices, covered by this driver is small, thus udev issues are
minor, documentation is sufficient.

Author's comments are here:

Now i'm back after many successive disasters in rl and i can finish
this up. But it can happen only in case of "ASAP" expanding on this.

Thanks.

--
-o--=O`C        Denis
 #oo'L O      1981-2006