Re: Solving the linux-2.6 firmware issue

(Removing -release, as requested)

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 03:22:51PM -0800, Jeff Carr wrote:
> What doesn't make sense to me is to throw out stuff like this because
> we don't have the code.

aiui, its being dropped out of main because it is not legal for us or
our users to modify it in its current form - not because its current
form is a hex blob. All of your arguments deal with the latter issue.

I can't legally use this driver to drive my own non-keyspan device
and I cannot make changes to the hex to fix a bug or add a feature for
my Keyspan device. I'm not a lawyer, but its also questionable to me
whether or not the license permits us to distribute it an the the
non-free modules package.

If you'd like to help improve the situation, I suggest lobbying
Keyspan to license their blob under the GPL. You can add me to the
list of customers unhappy with the situation - I own a USA-19QW.

--
dann frazier