Re: Compiling User-Mode-Linux kernel

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 05:13:59PM -0700, Gordon Haverland wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've almost always compiled my own kernels, across a bunch of
> things for quite a while (UN*X experience back to 1984, Linux to
> 1997?).  Some shortcomings of using chroot to isolate things has
> lead me to wanting to try UML.
>
> So, I did a little reading, and figured I should use the skas
> patch that Debian has available.  Compiling a new 2.6.18 kernel
> (and nvidia module) making use of the patch went well.  But,
> adding a --arch=um line to the make-kpkg command line to compile
> a UML kernel has generated a few errors.  I've manually patched

the UML kernel can't share the same .config as the host kernel, I
suppose a curious combination of CONFIG_ options can generate the
errors you're reporting.
So basically here's a few hints:

- the SKAS patch is for the host kernel (the one your computer usually
  boots. Note however that the 2.6.18 patch has some (almost) known
  issue so I wouldn't suggest using it. Last but not least, the SKAS
  patch is useful to increase UML speed and isolation but is not
  necessary to run a user-mode kernel.

- When building the UML kernel start with a "defconfig"[1] and then add
  options ontop of it.

- Try the user-mode-linux package, rootstrap and friends, they should
  ease things to get started.

[1]: make defconfig ARCH=um (I don't remember how to obtain the same
with make-kpkg)

hth
--
mattia