Re: initramfs-tools & nbd

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 12:23:56PM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 01:03:50AM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > well afaik nbd is not merged upstream?
> >
> > What do you mean by that?
>
> kernel side, or is it entirely usperspace?

Well, the setup is done in userspace; nbd-client does a few ioctl()s,
the last of which hands a socket to kernel space. From that point on,
it's entirely kernelspace.

The kernel implementation has been in Linus' tree since 2.1.something.
Also, nbd.ko is compiled in Debian kernels, so, no problems there. Just
the initramfs stuff.

[...]
> > That said, how do I compile anything against klibc? I seem to be missing
> > the documentation... and it might be nice to just be able to tell the
> > configure script that I want it to use klibc for the client, but glibc
> > for the server.
>
> oh that is very easy, two liner:
> apt-get install libklibc-dev
> ../configure CC=klcc
> make

Ah, yeah; that's easy. Thanks.

> but i didn't get far yet on plain klibc as you see above,
> currently udev and module-init-tools are supported.

Well, I was actually thinking of hacking Makefile.am to directly call
klcc (if configure found that it's on the system) for an alternative
'knbd-client', or so. This shouldn't be much of a problem; and if it
does pose a problem, I think I'll just patch nbd-client to work around
them ;-)

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22