Re: .config 2.6.24 i386/amd64 discussions

Hello,

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 03:56:01PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> FWIW, I think "desktop" and "server" are misleading descriptions here.  It's
> my impression that there are lots of servers in production that would also
> benefit from power savings as a result of tickless.

I sincerely doubt it. Current servers with dualcore opterons or quadcore
xeons pull between, 200-400W idle. Add more FB-dimms, and you get more
5W each.
A tickless kernel, wich might reduce the consumption by best-case 1W, is
just a joke in this case.

OTOH of course, if you have a laptop consuming 10-15W, and get it down
by 1W, I'd love to enable tickless, thats some 10-20 minutes of battery
time.

Having servers downclock the CPU when idle is a good idea, especially
if you have active/failover systems where the second box just waits for
the first one to fail. But this is cpufreq, not tickless or HZ.

>  Perhaps "standard" and
> "performance" would be better descriptors here?

Which being what?

Given the nature of the settings, powersave and standard could be better
names.

Best regards
Frederik Schüler

--