Subject: USB Stick install broken for etch?
Date: Freitag, 16. November 2007 03:18
From: Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch@web.de>
To: debian-release@lists.debian.org

Hello,

I prepared an 1 GB USB stick as installation medium for etch (wanted to use
 it as rescue "disk").

I followed the instructions on

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s04.html.en

I followed "4.4.2. Copying the files — the flexible way" since I had a 1GB
stick and I could use a full CD image this way.

I have taken vmlinuz and initrd.img from
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-
media (that was not entirely clear for me from the description on the page
 though).

syslinux.cfg I created myself with the two lines

default vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz

The system booted nicely from the USB stick. First strange issue is that the
installer needed two iteration to find the ISO image on the stick. The first
iteration failed, then I selected the entry manually from the installation
menu.

The I got a message

***********

Load installer components from an ISO Installer

No kernel modules were found. This probalby is due to a mismatch between the
kernel used by this version of the installer and the kernel available in the
archive....

*************

Are the kernels in the iso image and the hd-media in fact out of sync?

Did I miss something else?

The installation log is available at:

http://bokomoko.de/~rd/install.tar.bz2

Thanks,