Re: System crash caused by the powernow-k8 kernel module

CC to the authors of the powernow-k8 linux kernel module.

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:34:53 +0100
Daniel van Eeden <Daniel.van.Eeden@myname.nl> wrote:

> Teodor,
>
> You could set your machine up for serial console and connect another
> machine to capture the messages it generates during the crash.
>
> Sometimes the most useful messages are not logged to syslog but only
> to the console.
>
> modinfo powernow-k8 on my machine does not show any parms for
> debugging. Some modules can be loaded with a debug option enabled.

A few minutes ago I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest version
available 1601beta and the system is freezing immediately after I start
the firefox browser, probably caused by a growing load on the CPUs.

Unfortunately I don't have a serial cable around but I'll try to buy
one. Can you direct me to a good howto on setting a serial console? I'll
search on Internet but you might know a short one.

Paul and Mark, do you have any suggestions for fixing this?

Thanks