Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 12:39:05AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> The most recent linux-source-2.6.22 contains the following files:
>
> drivers/media/video/dabfirmware.h

# CONFIG_USB_DABUSB is not set

> drivers/net/drgs_firmware.c

# CONFIG_DGRS is not set

> drivers/usb/misc/emi26_fw.h
> drivers/usb/misc/emi62_fw_m.h
> drivers/usb/misc/emi62_fw_s.h

# CONFIG_USB_EMI62 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_EMI26 is not set

> drivers/usb/serial/keyspan_mpr_fw.h
> drivers/usb/serial/keyspan_usa*_fw.h (11 files)

# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN is not set

> drivers/net/tokenring/smctr_firmware.h

CONFIG_SMCTR=m

> drivers/net/appletalk/cops_ltdrv.h
> drivers/net/appletalk/cops_ffdrv.h

# CONFIG_COPS is not set

> drivers/net/tokenring/3c359_microcode.h

# CONFIG_3C359 is not set

> In other words, *all* of the above drivers.  It's even worse than that.  Look
> at the information about drgs:

So among them, one driver is activated, which I just deactivated in SVN.

We will prune these drivers again from the lenny release kernel if there
has not been found a different solution until then.

So, I may repeat ANOTHER time so maybe NOW you get the point: help having the
vendors re-release the drivers as GPL with sources, or have the drivers removed
upstream if they are dead and should not be distributed anymore, but
stop wasting our time with such upsetting and resource-consuming
threads.

Regards
Frederik Schüler

--