initramfs runaway modprobe loop

Hi: I am running Debian stable on 2.6.16, with root & boot on raid 1 (on two
scsi devices) and other partitions on lvm on raid 1 on the same scsi devices.

I am currently using initrd-tools with no problems, but would like to upgrade
to either initramfs (preferred) or yaird. I am having problems with both of
them. Yaird appears to just be having problems with the raid 1 over scsi
devices, as it gives an error regarding hdbX not being able to be added (yes,
hdbX, even though it should be sdbX). This isn't surprising since the Debian
wiki page on upgrading from initrd mentions that yaird is question on scsi
devices.

The problem with initramfs is a but more perplexing. I am getting a "runaway
modprobe loop" on module net-pf-1 and one other module (at the moment, I
cannot recall what it was). I have tried various configurations of the
options, such as "modules=most" or "modules=list", and  turning
either "DEVICE" or "NFSROOT" on or off. I have the same module list that I've
used with initrd, so I don't think the problem is with the module list.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? If this isn't the right mailing list, my
apologies...but I'd appreciate a pointer.

Thanks, Paul