update-initramfs, chroots ro /boot, and debian-live (Re: d-l and /boot ro)

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:13:00PM +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > Check update-initramfs, which reads from proc/mounts, which makes the
> > scripts not completely hostfs agnostic.
>
> ummm.. bad one that, thanks for pointing it out.
>
> someone has a good idea about that? actually, at the time where
> update-initramfs is run, we should not mount /proc, but that's going to
> be a bit nasty to mount/unmount it just before and after lh_chroot_hacks.
Should u-i check if it's in a chroot before testing for ro root (I
don't know).  I tried briefly bind mounting dev/null over proc/mounts
but made some kind of process specific proc/PID/mounts instead..

initramfs people, see thread starting at:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-live-devel/2007-August/002075.html

Justin