Re:%20Re: [kernel] r9384 - in dists/trunk/linux-2.6/debian/patches: bugfix/arm series

Hi Bastian

I'm not sure what happened to my reply that I sent this morning, so
here goes again.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:40:05 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 05:53:28AM +0000, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
> > Log:
> > Update broken config options for arm.

> Why do you need more than one patch?

I've had to regenerate this patch several times in the past because it
did not apply cleanly to new kernels. I'm hoping that in the future,
most of the individual patches will apply cleanly to new kernels,
which will make the task of getting them to build easier.

Also, it seems that it will be easier to revert one of these patches,
rather than revert the monolithic patch and then reapply a new
monolithic one, if one of the broken config options is fixed in a
point release of the kernel, but after we have migrated the kernel to
unstable. For instance, the BCM43XX driver did not compile for ARM in
2.6.22, but does for 2.6.23 (not exactly the situation I described,
but that situation could happen).

Gordon

--
Gordon Farquharson