Re: linux/types.h <-> glibc interferences

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 02:46:14PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Is there some specific reported issue that this change is intended to fix?
> I haven't noticed any complaints about the current behavior.

#434040 and a hand full of packages on the buildd.

> Anyway, it's my understanding that userspace apps are never supposed to
> define __KERNEL__ and doing so with linux-libc-dev gives broken includes, so
> in terms of overall design this change looks wrong to me (or at least,
> gratuitously strict).

__KERNEL__-only parts of the headers are filtered out for
linux-libc-dev.

>                        If there's userspace code that wants to get the
> kernel types under the standard posix names, why break that?

Please provide a less strict fix which works. Userspace code can only
use this definitions within a freestanding compiler without libc.

> (For an example of code that probably breaks with this change, I offer you
> aboot, the alpha bootloader; it's not great code, but we have to maintain it
> all the same...)

Thats what I expected.

Bastian

--
A little suffering is good for the soul.
		-- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0