Re: Upgrade/Compile linux kernel in Debian

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 05:56:37AM -0700, mic_linux_usa wrote:

> I never found good documentation on upgrading/compiling linux kernel in
> Debian, Most of the time I stuck in between and my running libs gets
> corrupted, then same story; Put new hard disk, Install latest Debian, mount
> old HDD and copy all the contents.

Have you seen http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org in general, and
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html in
particular? The steps for building the kernel "the Debian way" from
upstream source are documented there.

> After reading/research documents in net, I setup my step-by-step Linux
> kernel up-gradation (Bash Script) in Debian. up-till now I upgraded more
> than 5 Debian kernels without any problem.
>
> http://opensourcedevelopment.net/text-tutorials/upgrading-compiling-linux-kernel-in-debian.html

I did not examine the procedure you describe in too much detail, but
you definitely should not need to run mkinitrd. For one, mkinitrd
generates the old-style initrd images (basically, disk images with
cramfs or ext2 filesystems) which were used with 2.4 kernels. I'm not
even sure whether the new kernels are supposed to recognize this
format (and that's why you need to include some old repository in
your sources list, it has been removed from Debian when we switched
to 2.6 kernels completely). The new-style initrd images (aka
initramfs) are generated automatically when you install the kernel
deb, build with make-kpkg, using initramfs-tools.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC