From: dann frazier +AFs-mailto:dannf+AEA-dannf.org+AF0-
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 10:50 PM
To: Shane Huang
Cc: debian-kernel+AEA-lists.debian.org+ADs- Henry Su
Subject: Re: AMD/ATI SB700 support to Debian

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 10:55:35AM +-0800, Shane Huang wrote:
+AD4- Hi Dann:
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4- +AD4- Do you know of any reason these changes wouldn't work on a 2.6.18
+AD4- +AD4- base? Would you be able to run QA on one of our daily builds if I
+AD4- +AD4- pointed you to snapshot debs with these changes?
+AD4-
+AD4- I'm sorry that I do not catch your meaning very much because I'm a
+AD4- newbie
+AD4- in Debian, I did not use Debian before and know little about it, the
+AD4- distribution
+AD4- I have being using for some time is Redhat/Fedora. My main task here is
+AD4- to
+AD4- check whether the SB700 patches have been added into the familiar
+AD4- distributions
+AD4- to be released such as Debian 4.1, RHEL5.1 and Fedora 8.

'lenny' is the next major release of Debian (which might be called
4.1). But, that is over a year away whereas adding hardware support to
the existing release (4.0, 'etch') is possible sooner.

+AD4- So could you give me more information about your questions? Such as:
+AD4- What's the function/usage of +ACI-2.6.18 base+ACI-? Why are you still using it
+AD4- if
+AD4- next Debian 4.1 release will use the kernel after 2.6.23-rc1. etc

Debian 'etch' is based on 2.6.18.

+AD4- +AD4- The combined mode patch for sb700 depends on a quirk that was added
+AD4- +AD4- for sb600 after 2.6.18. I could of course backport this quirk only for
+AD4- +AD4- sb700, but is there a good reason for adding it for sb600 as well?
+AD4-
+AD4- I think adding both the SB600 patch and SB700 is better, since the
+AD4- distribution
+AD4- can be used on motherboards with SB600 or SB700.

SB600 support is already there. What I'm saying is that there was a
pci quirk added for the SB600 sometime after 2.6.18, and the SB700
uses the same one. So, since we would, in theory, backport it as part
of the SB700 backport - what is the value/risk of enabling it for the
SB600 as well? We don't want to risk breaking existing SB600 support
in etch unless there's a good reason.

--
dann frazier