Kernels does not assign irq to eth0

Hi,

Sorry to disturb you on this list, but I need some help and will not
file a bug report yet and don't know where to get help. After recent
upgrades on unstable+experimental ethernet does not work any longer. I
have been using a 3com card for a long time and after the upgrade it
suddenly doesn't work any longer. Module loaded is 3c59x.ko. Kernels
2.6.18-3-686, 2.6.18-4-686, 2.6-20-1-686, 2.6.21-686. Whem tring to
bring up the interface I get the following output:
RTNETLINK anwers: File exists/No such process/Network is unreachable.

Buying a new network card and loading the 8138too.ko module this card is
detected as eth0 according to the kernel logs and assigned, e.g IRQ 17.
However, when looking at /proc/interrupts the assigned interupt does not
show :( When tring to bring up the interface the output is:
Cannot find device "eth0"
Failed to bring up "eth0"

I have tried to move the crd to another PCI slot, but no avail.
According to dmesg there are problems with IRQ assignments, and one of
the IRQs are disabled for some reasons. Have tried booting with
pci=routeirq without any difference and usnig irqpoll oprion hangs the
boot! The computer is a  Dual CPU Celeron box, having been running for a
long time now. I had recent problems installing the latest
module-init-tools-3.3-pre-3, and backed to 3.3pere-1 and reinstalled
modutils. Does this have abything to do with the problems seen?
Which upgrades does affect the ethernet functionality, the kernels were
_not_ upgraded with the latest upgrade!

Please Cc: me sinve I'm not subscribed.

Thanks,
Svante