Make not working on linux-source-2.6.18

I just installed Etch both on my laptop and on my desktop.  On both machines,
I downloaded linux-source-2.6.18 and tar'ed them into /usr/src.  However,
when I run "make EXTRAVERSION=-k7 oldversion", I get several error messages
about files not existing, called by gcc.  I am using gcc 4.1, and I am sure
this source matches my kernel image (linux-image-2.6.18-4-k7).

Is there another tool I need besides gcc?  I need to install the headers in
order to install ndiswrapper for my wireless card.  All of this worked on
sarge with no issues, using kernel-source-2.6.8-2-k7.