kernel configuration management tool

Hello,

At the occasion of the Google Summer of Code, I have to create a  kernel
configuration management tool.
The tool  will make is possible to give a tree of the possible options of
configuration and the list of the modules which can be created by these options
(either even those which are removed or renamed for example).

I think that the project is divided in two parts.
First, we have to create a Lexer and a Parser, to do so I will use
Ocaml.(thanks to OcamlLex and Ocamlyacc) for the following files:
             the .config files,
              files which are organize in a hierarchy version in the
            Debian package source (Debian/arch/)
            and kconfig files of the kernel

 The Lexer and the Parser are easily built because the files configuration
 syntax is simple and his grammar is given in the documentation:
 Kconfig-language.txt.
For every kind of files (.config, debian/arch/ et Kconfig), we have an
Abstract Syntax Tree (AST) of the possible options.
 After we will just have to combine the three AST obtained which will allow
us to obtain the AST of  the all possible options by arch/subarch/flavour.

 The final AST will be convertible i.e at the end we will have a version
 which will be easily understood by the developer.

 Then, we will have to create a Lexer and a Parser for the kernel's Makefile.

 As a result we will be able to use the AST we created and the AST of the
 all possible options to create the modules list which were created by the
different options.
I think this tool will be used in an important way within the management of the
kernel.
What do you think about this project ?
Do you have some suggestions ?
Do  you think that this tool could help you ?
Thanks a lot for your answers.

Guillaume Lopes