CDROM drive problem since using kernel in unstable

Dear Debian-Kernel team,

After switching to unstable,
I've always failed to read from my CDROM for:

1. Video CD
2. Some data disk

While it's ok to read:
1. DVD Video
2. Audio CD

In the log I can see that it's always spit out Drive Seek Complete Error
0x51 something... whenever it tries to play the VCD.

I'm using:
- Thinkpad T30,
- CDROM detected as [HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8082N, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive,
ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache, UDMA(33)]
- kernel 2.6.17-1-686.

Tried kernel 2.6.16-2-686, and it also failed. Tried ubuntu also with
kernel 2.6.12 and 2.6.15, still failed.

Can you give me pointers on what's happening here?
Is there any known fixes or patches I can try?

Thanks in advance.

All the best.
-arief