Re: openvz 2.6.8

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 04:19:24PM +0100, John Kelly wrote:
> I'm trying to merge the openvz 2.6.8 patch with the debian sarge 2.6.8
> kernel sources.
>
> But the kernel-source-2.6.8_2.6.8.orig.tar.gz is not the same as the
> vanilla 2.6.8 tarball.  Diff shows non free drivers have been removed
> from the debian "orig" tarball.
>
> It's puzzling to me that the "orig" tar.gz is not the same as the
> vanilla kernel.org tarball.  And it's a problem, because the openvz
> patch wants to patch those non free drivers which have been removed.

We can't legally distribute that source, so we remove it. This happens
in many packages in Debian - see all the .orig.tar.gz's with a "dfsg" string.

> And how should I proceed, making a debian kernel source package which
> uses the vanilla kernel tarball as its starting point?

Apply the .diff.gz to the unpruned source. Please use a different
orig.tar.gz name and version string if you plan to distribute your
work, so that it is clearly diffentiated from ours when users file bug
reports.

--
dann frazier