Re: Dropping the amd64-generic flavour

Hello,

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:15:13AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> So if you use amd64 now, then what will you use when amd releases an
> amd64 architecture chip called k9 that should have a different kernel
> than the k8?  Same for em64t.  I imagine the pentium-m derived chips
> will prefer a different kernel than the pentium-4 derived chips.  Which
> one does em64t apply to then?

We might add new flavors then, if the changes are are mutually exclusive
between the old and new architecture. But considering the current
release schedule, this is not likely to happen before we release Etch.
Additionally, the change must be a grave one, like a new instruction the
kernel would use (like cmov() or cmpxchg() on 686/k7 CPUs).

> Perhaps simply -k8 and -p4 or something would be better, since obviously
> they are amd64 kernels, since they are on amd64 architecture.

This could be an option too.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--